This is a discontinued Camera. Click here to view current Primos Trail Cameras.
Primos Proof Cam 2 Review
– The Primos proof cam 02 produces good day and night pictures combined with easy programming and long battery life. – TCP Staff
Model # 63055 | Primos Proof Cam 2 Owner’s Manual
- Exceptional picture trigger speed
- Crisp, colorful daytime pictures
- Great video quality
- Battery efficient
- Easy to program
- Slow video trigger speed
- Poor audio on video
The Primos Proof Cam 02 has turned into one of our favorite trail cameras. Exceptional pictures, long battery life, and easy setup are the highlights of this little trailcam.
Photo resolution: 12 or 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1280 x 720 HD w/ audio | Flash Type: Red Glow Infrared
Primos Proof Cam 02 daytime pictures offer near-perfect color quality. This hasn’t always been the case with Primos cameras, but they have made tremendous strides the past several years to improve their daytime pictures, and the results show.
The night flash has been toned down considerably from last year. This new Proof Cam model doesn’t display near the “white-out” 2014 Primos models had. The night pictures are clear, offer good contrast and possess a strong but not overwhelming Red Glow Infrared Flash. We have seen some blurry night photos, but overall, the pictures are stunning and deserve considerable praise.
In the past few years, many consumers have been misled by the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Don’t get caught up in this. We consider 99% of megapixel ratings to be a marketing gimmick. Companies inflate the mpxl rating of their products through a process called interpolation which digitally adds megapixels to a photo while marginally improving quality, if at all. The only way to judge picture quality is by examining the pictures a trail camera takes. For instance, the Proof Cam 2 interpolates its photos out to 12 mpxl (if you choose “ultra” photo quality in the settings). We consider interpolation completely unnecessary, however, every manufacturer employs this tactic. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that the camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Resting Power (on): 1.8 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 3.4 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 5.54 Ws
The resting current is incredibly low and will allow the camera to sit dormant for an extended time period. The day and night power consumptions are very efficient as well.
The Proof Cam 2 can use lithium, alkaline or NiMH rechargeable Batteries. We recommend lithium if you want trouble-free, long battery life. If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hour time period, the Proof Cam 2 could still last an impressive 7.7 months in the field on a set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.22 s. / 3.8 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 2.72 s. / 4.5 s. | Detection Range: 70 ft.
In the way of speed, the Proof Cam 2 shines in picture trigger time. 0.22 seconds is incredibly quick and makes for a great rating. Outside of that, the video trigger and picture recovery are relatively average.
The detection zone is quite impressive. The Primos proof cam 02 reaches out to 70 ft. on average, and has a detection angle that matches the field of view. If it weren’t for the average to below-average recovery time, this detection circuit would be rated much higher.
Quality of Design
Dimensions: 5.25″ x 4″ x 2.75″ | Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 12 Volt
The case design is simple and strong. The camera works well with both the Slate River Mount and Python Cable Lock. The cable lock goes around the front of the camera, locking both the camera shut as well as securing the camera to the tree.
The programming is incredibly easy. Throw away the owner’s manual, you won’t be using it. Simply slide the toggle switches to your desired setting, and put in the time/date and off you go. The only downside to the programming is the lack of advanced options.
Durability has been hampered significantly by defective battery connections in earlier model runs. Inventory after Nov. 1st has been corrected. Our current inventory consists of the good battery connections and we haven’t had a single warranty on any battery terminal since November.
Enjoy our Primos Proof Cam 02 reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
Back to Top of Page
Primos Trail Camera Reviews
- 12 mpxl interpolated photos
- Red Glow Infrared Flash
- 12 Volt External Battery Jack
- 1280 x 720 HD Video w/ audio
- 1-5 multi-shot
- 5 s. – 60 s. video clips
- Time Lapse: 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 m. intervals – Daylight Hours
- Photo Stamp: Time, date, temperature and moon phase
- Requires 8 AA Batteries
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- Photo, Video and Time-Lapse mode
- Easy toggle switch setting changes
- 1/4″ x 20 threaded insert on the bottom of camera for Slate River Mount
- Accepts python lock through bracket on the back of camera
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Proof Cam 2 Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Proof 02.
Energizer Ultimate Lithiums | 8 Pack
– There is no downside to using lithium Batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
Primos Proof Cam Security Case
– Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
6 Foot Python Cable Lock
– Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Proof Cam 02 has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Extra SD Cards
Start at $5.95
– SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. Most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Additional Resources: Trail Camera Reviews
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.