This is a discontinued trail camera. Shop new Reconyx Trail Cameras here.
Reconyx WR6 Review
– This white LED game camera is known for one thing, unbelievable video quality. Plus, the night video remains in color. This camera is slow, though, so don’t be in a rush. – TCP Staff
Model # WR6 | Reconyx WR6 Owner’s Manual
- Excellent battery life
- Good picture quality
- Ability to take color nighttime videos
- Slow trigger speed
- Batteries can be tricky to load
This camera is identical to the Reconyx XR6, outside of the white LED flash. The Ultrafire series is the first time Reconyx has produced cameras with video capability and the WR6, with its white LED’s, can produce color daytime video as well.
Photo resolution: 8, 5, 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1080 p HD w/ audio | Flash Type: White Flash LED
While conducting the Reconyx UltraFire WR6 Reviews field time, we found daytime picture have excellent color and clarity. The WR6 does really well even at a close distance. We were also impressed with the picture quality in heavily shaded areas.
There are only a few other white LED cameras on the market and the WR6’s night pictures compare quite favorably to them. The flash range goes out to about 40-45 ft. We did not see the amount of blur that we had originally anticipated.
Resting Power (on): 0.03 ma | Daytime Power Consumption: 460 mAs | Nighttime Power Consumption: 628 mAs
Battery life is a real strong point on the WR6. Resting current draw is so small you might as well not count it at all. Day and night consumption is quite exceptional as well. The camera runs on 12 AA Batteries and we recommend using only lithium Batteries or NiMH rechargeable Batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.11 s. / 3.40 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.18 s. / 4.46 s. | Detection Range: 60 ft
This really is a sub-standard score for any Reconyx camera. They normally rank at the very top in detection circuit. However, the processor used in the new Ultrafire cameras that produce the great video quality hinders the trigger speed (1.11 seconds) and the recovery time (3.5 seconds).
The detection zone still matches the field of view and goes out to 60 ft.
Quality of Design:
Dimensions: 4.5” x 3.5″ x 3.25″ | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: None
Case design on the WR6 is what you would expect from a Reconyx camera. The latch is flawless and easy to open with cold hands. The front face of the WR6 is actually smaller than previous Reconyx models by one inch in both height and width. The depth of the case is a bit thicker.
There is a 1/4″ x 20 threaded insert on the back of the camera for a Slate River Mount. Most cameras have a bracket for a Python Cable Lock, however, Reconyx takes it a step further and has two mounts. One of the holes locks the camera to the tree but the inside of the camera can still be opened without taking the lock off. The second hole locks both the camera to the tree and the case shut. This is a pretty handy feature that is unique to Reconyx.
After years of complaining about the on/off switch that Primos cameras use, it is only fair to point out the WR6 is using the identical system. Instead of a simple on/off toggle switch like previous Reconyx models utilize, the WR6 has an on/off button. After the camera has been running for a while, you have to turn the power button on, wait for the screen to light up, and then turn it off again.
Programming the camera is exactly what we want. The programming is as simple or complex as you like. The large, ample viewing screen makes both programming and picture review very easy. You can view both pictures and videos the camera has taken on the screen, including the audio from the videos.
Durability is unknown on a model this young. All in all, we always expect to work out a few bugs on any new model, regardless of the manufacturer. With more experience using the new XR6, we should be able to offer more insight into these matters. It is our belief that these are short term bugs, and will be fixed with time and experience on our end, or minor firmware adjustments on Reconyx’s end.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
Back to Top of Page
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Additional Resources: Reconyx
- White LED flash flash
- 8 mpxl interpolated photos
- 1920 x 1080 HD videos w/ audio
- 1-10 multi-shot burst
- 10,20, or 30 s. video clips
- Time-lapse settings: 1,5,15,30,60 min.
- Photo stamp: Date, time temperature, and moon phase
- Picture + Video mode: Yes
- Temperature range: -20° – 120° F.
- Field of view: 45.2°
- Password protection: Yes
- SD card overwrite: No
- PIR Settings: Low, Med, or High
- Flash settings: No
- Requires 12 AA batteries
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn’t good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro’s 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro’s 90 Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer’s remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Reconyx WR6 Accessories
Here are a few of the Accessories we like to use in the WR6.
Energizer Ultimate Lithiums | 12 Pack
– There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
Reconyx Ultrafire Security Case
– Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
6 Foot Python Cable Lock
– Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The WR6 has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Extra SD Cards
Start at $9.95
– SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the WR6, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.